Saturday 9 February 2013

How To Be A Fat Bitch e-course Week #2

Assignment

Reclaim the word fat and do something amazing with it. Make art, take photos of yourself with fat written on you, bake a cake with fat written in frosting, etc. I can't wait to see what you do! Blog it, Instagram it, Tweet it (#fatbitchecourse, #nearsightedowl), etc. and share it in the comments below.


Discussion

What do you love most about the word fat? How has the word fat evolved for you?

I love that I have reclaimed the word fat for myself and that it is no longer a shameful thing. When I was growing up being fat was always the worst possible thing that could happen. My mother doesn't hate fat people, not at all, but she has a lot of body shame and I think she inadvertently passed it on to me. The most ridiculous part is that my mum is not fat at all. In school kids would make fun of me for being fat. Not so much my sister because she has always been relatively thin, but as I have always been bigger it was more directed at me. As I got older I got fatter, and it became a huge source of embarrassment. At family dinners and at restaurants my mother would say things like "Are you sure you want seconds? Are you sure you want dessert?" She wasn't doing it to be mean, she just didn't want me to feel like she did. The word became a shameful, hateful word and I hated myself in turn. But then I discovered fatactivism and fatshion and everything changed. Through the online community I learned to love my body, fat and all, and the word fat became empowering. I am a fat woman, that isn't a horrible thing, it is simply a description and I have learned to love and accept that fact. My fat is what makes me me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.     

No comments:

Post a Comment