Wednesday 10 July 2013

The King in Purple








What I Wore:
Shirt: Thrifted 
Skirt: Made by me (no pattern)
Necklace: Black Market (Halifax)
Shoes: Ardene

In case you didn't notice I haven't been around on here lately. Things got a bit hectic in life and I just haven't had the time to do any proper blogging. We're moving up to Colin's dad's and have been in the process of sorting out the moving plans. My computer has also been fussy about loading pictures and editing them. I had intended to upload some pictures from Canada Day weekend, but didn't get a chance to because of the problem. Luckily it is all sorted now so that's good. It's also really humid here and my hair is crazy and I need to do something with it so please excuse the mess on my head. Anyway, all of those excuses combined are why I haven't been around much lately.

As I was partway through working on this skirt I realized I should have made it a "how to" post with some step by step pictures because it is pretty simple to construct. I was too far in the process to stop and take any pictures, but here are the instructions anyway. Basically all I did was cut two pieces the length that I wanted (including 5" for the hem and  2" for the waistband). Then I sewed the two pieces together at the side seams. I left a whole 1" down from the top on one side, you'll see why in a minute. I folded down 1" at the waist, pressed it, and then folded it another 1". I sewed that on the machine using a decorative zig-zag.  Once the waistband was sewn down I fed some 3/4" no-roll elastic through the hole I left open in the side seam. I sewed the ends of the elastic together and then hand sewed shut the small opening. Last but not least I pressed up the hem 2 1/2"  and then folded it another 2 1/2". I did a decorative zig-zag to secure the hem. Ta-da! That's it. It's a very easy skirt that you could do without a pattern. I wanted it to be simple enough to show case the awesome Elvis fabric that I bought. It's going to be great for the summer, just throw it on and go!  

P.S. If anyone wants anymore close up shot let me know and I will happily provide them. 

4 comments: