Friday 5 April 2013

Hearts and Bows














What I Wore:
Dress: Bealls 
Shirt: Giant Tiger
Belt: Spoof (a store in Toronto)
Leggings: Suzy Shier
Boots: ModCloth

So I was feeling pretty awesome in this outfit when I was wearing it earlier this week. I love how you can kind of see the hearts through the thin black crepe. It's pretty sweet. I was going to try out something a little different with my shoes but a) it was really cold and b) it apparently  looked a bit odd/eccentric and since I was going to work I decided to play it safe. I really should have just worn what I wanted to, and I kind of regretted it afterwards, but there is always next time (and like I said it was coooold). I went about my business feeling amazing still. I kind of felt like what Rae is saying in this GIF from My Mad Fat Diary (I say I felt like what she is saying because you can tell she doesn't really believe it, but she is trying too and that's what matters).


And then someone had to go and make the comment "That outfit doesn't really do anything for me." Now, I know they didn't mean it in a harmful way, but this is someone I respect and it really hurt. A lot of horrible things went through my head. First I thought "Maybe I do look awful" and then I checked myself and realised that was ridiculous. Then I thought "Maybe I don't like how I look because you dress like a 13 year old boy" but that was kind of mean (but true and they have admitted this). In the end I realized the person said it because they don't feel comfortable with themselves and they feel the need to comment on others who do feel confident. They are not necessarily conscious of this, but they still do it and it can be hurtful. But now that I realize the comments are coming from a very insecure part of that person and that I shouldn't take it personally. They just need to be taught how to love themselves so they can look awesome everyday just like I do! Maybe I should make them read some of the fat acceptance blogs that helped me on my own journey, share the love so to speak. I will leave you with this quotation from Jes over at the Militant Baker. (Some context, this is from her post Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls..SO I Will)

"Wearing whatever you want is a political statement. Join the revolution. Throw style rules out the window. Wear the tutu. Wear the horizontal stripes. Wear the turquoise skinny jeans. Wear the see-through blouse. Wear the bikini. Wear the sweat pants. Wear the shirt that says "Does this shirt make me look fat?". Wear whatever it is that makes you happy. This is your life."

2 comments:

  1. That outfit is hot! I love that belt, it is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Isn't cute? They had so many nice belts in that store and they were all $10, it was hard to choose one. I think a lot of them were made for small people though and this was the only one that really fit.

      Delete