Sunday 17 March 2013

How To Be A Fat Bitch e-course Week #4

After a brief hiatus Rachele is back with her blogging and the Fat Bitch e-course. Here is the latest assignment for you all. Enjoy! 

Discussion

How has seeing fat bodies in the media affected you? Like Adele, Gabourey Sidibe, Aidy Bryant from SNL, Beth Ditto, Melissa McCarthy, etc. Do you gravitate towards fat positive music, TV and movies?
We aren't really exposed to beautiful fat bodies in our culture. When we see fat bodies on tv or in movies they usually aren't shown in a positive light. I think this needs to change. All body types need to be shown as being beautiful. Everyone is different and we shouldn't be glorifying just one type of body. But I digress, right now I am writing about fat bodies in particular. I am relatively new to loving fat bodies. Not that I would hate on other people before, but I didn't love my own body and I didn't actively seek out other fat bodies (even as an inspiration to loving my own).  I don't think I tended to gravitate to other fat bodies in the past because I was in denial about my own. I didn't accept and love my fat so I didn't really love other's fat either. I didn't start to love my fat body and other fat bodies until I started reading fat acceptance blogs about a year ago. As a result I don't really have a fat body role model. Probably my first exposures to fat bodies being portrayed as beautiful in the media were America Ferrara in UglyBetty (she's more average than fat but it was a start) and Nikki Blonsky in the remake of Hairspray. I am going to make a more conscious effort now to seek out more media of fat bodies. It is good to have that kind of diverse body imagery in your life. There isn't just one kind of body, one kind of beautiful, and I think I need to educate myself more about fat bodies.

After writing the above I went and watched all of My Mad Fat Diary and I fell in love with the show and with Rae. She is beautiful and that show is amazing and a great inspiration for fat bodies everywhere. I was really struggling with the assignment this week, it went through a few incarnations, but I ended up settling on making a collage of Rae (Sharon Rooney). I hope you like it!

Assignment

Create a tribute to a fat body. Your fat body or somebody else's. Make a papier mache figure, draw a silhouette photograph your rolls, curate a collection of images of bodies similar to yours, etc. Blog it, Instagram it, Tweet it (#fatbitchecourse, #nearsightedowl), etc. and share it in the comments below.

Sharon Rooney from My Mad Fat Diary

P.S. There weren't a lot of full body pictures of anyone from this show so I had to work with what was available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment