Sunday 24 August 2014

Down By The Bay: Fatkini Edition










What I Wore:
Cardi: Suzy Shier
Fatkini Top: Asos Curve
Shorts: Made by me
Fatkini Bottoms: ModCloth
Sunnies: Universal Studios

Last summer, a year into my fat acceptance journey, an amazing thing started to happen on the internet. I began to see all of these fabulous fat babes in fatkinis on blogs and on my dash on tumblr. In my own fat acceptance journey I was still an infant, but I admired these babes for their courage and I thought to myself "next year, next year I hope to be at that stage and able to don a kickass fatkini on the beach." The days passed and in the spring I began to scour the internet for the perfect fatkini to wear when we went up to the cottage. After a few months of hunting I finally found these high waisted bottoms on ModCloth. They were perfect, pretty much the bottom half of the bathing suit I had last summer, but I loved the look and I knew the brand fit well so I decided to go for it. ModlCloth also happened to have a killer sale on so I snatched these babies up and began to hunt for the top half to complete the look. It took me a little bit longer to find the perfect top, but Asos also had a sweet sale and I managed to pick the top up for under $20.00. The colour matched perfectly, and I loved the retro style. The only negative thing I can say is I am not sure who's ribs they measured when making the top but it is a little snug in that area. I intended to give it a bit of ease by adding a panel or something but I didn't have time to before we left. It was still comfortable enough to wear so I put on my new duds and went to the beach.

You might be ale to tell from the pictures but it was a little chilly and windy that day so I was wearing a sweater and shorts for a little while, but gosh darn I was going to wear that bikini at least once while we were away. Once it warmed up enough to take off my sweater I felt really comfortable wearing my fatkini for most of the afternoon. No one stared, no one laughed, no one made rude comments, and I finally felt like I belonged with all the other fat babes on the internet. It gave me so much confidence to be able to wear something like this, I wore it like a badge of honour. This is the first time I have ever worn a bikini in my entire life, and it felt so damn good. There is still some summer left in my corner of the world and I encourage all the fat babes I know and the ones I don't know to slip into your very own fatkini and go to the beach/a water park/ a pool whatever. Trust me it's not so scary, you will feel great, and you will definitely wonder why you never did it before. It's your turn to become part of the body confidence revolution.    

11 comments:

  1. You look great Hope! Also love the retro style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this suit! I also love your little 'strip tease'. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so cute! Also looks like a beautiful day, despite the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gorgeous Pin up you! I love retro style suits like this and this is so sweet on you. I have a one piece retro style from MC but I've been dying for a high waisted two piece. I'm pretty self conscious but you've inspired me to go for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look stunning! You totally rock this bikini. I'm on the hunt for a similar style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are freakin' adorable! Thanks for being so crafty, fabulous, and body loving! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Marisa! Next summer I want to see you rockin' a two piece retro number too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! It was quite pleasant, not as warm as I would have liked for vacation (at least warm enough to swim would have been nice), but it was great for lounging around and going on walks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, thanks Sarah! I was inspired :p

    ReplyDelete